I’ve been working on and off the whole day on Jot and it’s coming along great though not so fast as yesterday’s work on the GUI 🙂 Today I completed the GUI in the morning and since then have been working on the actual functionality and since that gets into the area of writing more than two lines of code for the first time <g> I had to go through learning a bit about Delphi code. I have however got the whole thing working except for the actual template replacement and I just did a test of the FTP stuff and overwrote my Tripod site’s main page with a simple text file … Ooops 🙂
Well, at least now I know that Jot really does work It has the ability to handle multiple sites and multiple templates for those individual sites and all of that seems to work fine. This way, you can have the same posts on several different sites and each of those sites could have an entirely different look – a pretty intriguing idea actually … I might just decide to have different looks for each of my mirrors once I get Jot working just for the heck of it <vbg>
The only things that remain to be done are template substitution and automated archiving and then Jot should be ready for prime time. I’m really happy about how easy it was to get an app coded and out the door with Delphi – if I’d tried to code Jot in C++, it probably would have taken me about two weeks of work 🙂 Of cours, the downside is that the final product is prett huge … The Jot executable itself comes to around 1MB and I know that it will also need the BDE (Borland Database Engine) plus probably some other run time files as well … But for the moment, I’m not even sure I will be distributing Jot since that would mean that I would have to support and develop two different apps at the same time … But then again, if it functions really well, I just might release it since this will make web site maintainence and updating a breeze ….
Hmm … Blogger doesn’t want to seem to want to work with me today … Good thing I’m working on Jot to replace it then <vbg> I’ve been trying to make this post for the last 15 minutes and my web site doesn’t update with this post at all … Oh brother!