February 24, 2005

Pressing Updates

The next big release of WordPress, WP 1.5 code name Strayhorn, was released last week and unfortunately, they broke some of the stuff as far as plugins went :-( Since I use my own WPBlacklist plugin to safeguard against comment spam on this site, that meant that I couldn’t upgrade to WP 1.5 just yet. Of course, in the meantime, I’ve been getting inquiries about when I would fix WPBlacklist so that it would actually work with WP 1.5. I was planning to do all of this over the wekend but unfortunately, I got caught up in a different coding project – one involving C code and mingw32 … so lots of fun there :p – and so couldn’t do what I had originally planned to do – which was install WP 1.5 and get WPBlacklist working with it.

Yesterday, I finally decided to take the plunge and do the work even if I didn’t have enough time to work at it as I would have over a weekend. Of course, I didn’t install WP 1.5 on this site since I didn’t want to have to do without WPBlacklist in case I couldn’t get things working immediately – instead, I installed it on my development machine and I should say that the upgrade process went very smoothly. It wasn’t as painful as I’d thought it would be since they’d added a new template feature to WP in 1.5 and I had thought that I might have to redo the template for my site all over again. Actually, it wasn’t that hard at all. All I had to do was remove a few lines from my old template, replace a few lines and move it to a new location and I was done :) The WPBlacklist changes weren’t that smooth though :p

Initially I was stumped because I wasn’t seeing errors where I was supposed to see errors – or at least, was expecting errors. So I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why I wasn’t seeing errors. Finally it turned out that the errors weren’t where I thought they would be :p In short, I spent a good hour running around in circles. Finally, once I got past that bit, I was able to make the code changes in a very short time and get things working. However, I am not too confident that I’ve caught all the little things that need to be fixed and so am taking another day to go through it all and to fix up the code, spruce up the documentation and so on. Then I’ll probably upgrade the site, install WPBlacklist here and see how it goes. If all goes well, then you should see the new plugin available for download in a couple of days – I promise :)

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: Coding, WordPress
Posted by Fahim at 10:49 am   Comments (4)