August 10, 2001

I was able to help get three Blog users set up yesterday and I consider that to be pretty big achievement :-) Two of them were from Netherland and were suffering from what I used to call the “mysterious Dutch problem” <vbg> With their help I was finally able to figure out what the mysterious Dutch problem was – it wasn’t so mysterious (if I’d really thought about it :p) and it isn’t specific to the Dutch … Basically the problem would have cropped up on Blog running on almost any non-English (or it could even be non-US-English) version of Windows. It turns out that the database system that I use (DBISAM from ElevateSoft) sets the language and date format for all operations based on the language id of Windows and does not care what the date format set in the Control Panel is. Since I was using the US date format internally, this would create a problem on machines which had non-US versions of Windows …

A modified build solved the problem for one of the Dutch users but the other one still has problems because the new changes to FTP connections screws up things on his particular FTP server. So I’ve done another build which hopefully fixes the problem and have sent it to him. If that proves to be successful, I’ll be releasing Blog 3.7 sometime today or during the weekend.

Speaking of releases, I’ve got NewsHoard ready for release but have been holding back since I still have to do the documentation and change the current Gossip page to reflect the name and feature changes. Oh the joy’s of doing software :p

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: General
Posted by Fahim at 7:54 am   Comments (0)